Fibroids are muscular tumors that develop in the walls of the uterus. These tumors are typically not cancerous. A woman can have a single fibroid in her uterus, or she can multiple tumors in her uterus. Fibroids can be as small as an apple seed, or they can grow larger than a grapefruit. The U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health report studies that have shown between 70 and 80 percent of women will develop fibroids sometime before they reach 50 years old.
Fibroids do not always cause symptoms and do not always require treatment. Women can have fibroids for years and not even know it. Furthermore, a fibroid can shrink and disappear without any treatment. Your doctor may recommend treatment if your fibroids are causing you pain or interfering with your quality of life. There are also many natural remedies for fibroids, including healthy lifestyle changes, dietary changes, and herbal remedies. Here we explore the top natural remedies for fibroids.
Symptoms of Fibroids
Fibroids are noncancerous gynecological tumors that develop within the uterine walls. These fibroids can cause a number of symptoms including:
- Abdominal cramping
- Frequent urination
- Heavy, painful periods
- Low back pain
- Pain during sex
Natural Treatments For Fibroids
If a woman has bothersome fibroid symptoms, surgery or birth control pills may be recommended. Unfortunately, medications may cause a plethora of side effects, and surgery carries its own risks. You could also check out some natural remedies that can help relieve the symptoms of fibroids, reduce the risk of developing fibroids, and even shrink or cause your fibroids to disappear.
- Acupuncture – Acupuncture uses microfine needles to activate the body’s ability to health itself. Acupuncture also helps to relieve pain, improve hormone production and reduce inflammation throughout the body.
- Alcohol – Drinking alcohol can increase your risk of developing fibroids. When you consume alcohol, inflammation can occur. Studies have shown that consuming alcohol can increase your risk of developing fibroids. To help reduce your risk of fibroids, limit alcohol consumption to an occasional social drink, or avoid it altogether for best results.
- Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy – Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT) helps to improve gynecological health by regulating hormone levels. These hormones can significantly reduce the risk of fibroids. Furthermore, hormone therapy can help shrink or eliminate uterine fibroids.
- Chemical Avoidance – Both natural and synthetic chemicals can disrupt your endocrine system, causing your estrogen levels to increase. Chemicals can enter your body through the foods you eat, the water you drink, and through your skin. Some of the most common chemicals that disrupt your hormone levels and increase the likelihood of developing fibroids include dyes, fertilizers, fire retardants, nonstick cookware coatings, paint, personal care products, pesticides, and plastics.
- Dietary Changes – The typical American diet is filled with inflammatory foods that can increase your risk of developing fibroids. Large amounts of red meat along with calorie laden foods can lead to fibroids. Instead of eating refined carbs, sugars, and saturated fats, opt for healthy foods. One of the best diets to follow when trying to promote health and eliminate fibroids is the Mediterranean diet. The Mediterranean diet is filled with fresh and cooked green veggies, legumes, omega 3 rich fish, and fresh fruits. Following this diet can help your body heal, reduce systemic inflammation, and promote good uterine health, thus reducing or eliminating fibroids.
- Garlic – Garlic is filled with nutrients that help balance hormones. This powerful herb has antioxidant properties to detoxify the pelvic cavity, ovarian tissues, and uterus to prevent and reverse fibroid growth.
- Green Tea – Green tea is filled with several different antioxidants that can help slow the growth of fibroids. These antioxidants work by decreasing inflammation and lowering estrogen levels. Drinking green tea can help reduce the symptoms of fibroids, including low iron, systemic inflammation, and increased hormone levels.
- Lemon Juice – Lemon juice contains citric acid which can help reduce fibroids. For best results, combine two teaspoons of lemon juice and one teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water and drink daily.
- Local Heat – Applying a warm compress or taking a warm bath can help relax you and relieve your pain naturally. When applying a warm compress, do not apply the compress directly to your skin. Use a cloth or a towel to protect against burns.
- Lower Your Blood Pressure – Research has shown women with high blood pressure are more likely to suffer from fibroids. There are several things you can do to help reduce your blood pressure, and thus reduce the risk of fibroids, including:
– Use herbs and spices rather than salt when flavoring your food.
– Avoid high sodium foods, including pre-packaged and processed foods.
– Exercise daily. Seek to get 30 minutes of exercise on most days.
– Lose weight, especially in your midsection.
– Limit or avoid alcohol consumption.
– Increase your potassium levels by eating a variety of potassium rich fruits and vegetables at each meal.
– Stop smoking.
– Take your blood pressure medications as prescribed.
– Have regular physical checkups.
- Traditional Chinese Medicine – Traditional Chinese Medicine employs a variety of herbal formulas to help shrink fibroids, keep the uterus healthy, and balance your hormone levels. The most common herbs are:
– Cinnamon Twig is a potent herb that is used to reduce inflammation and detoxify the body, which may help reduce or eliminate fibroids.
– Poria Mushrooms enhance the immune system, provide antioxidant protection, and can help relieve the pain associated with fibroids.
– Peach Seed or peach kernels, helps to improve circulation as well as relieve acute pain.
– Peony Root is used to help relieve pain, regulate hormone levels, and improve blood flow in Traditional Chinese Medicine.
– Chasteberry extract helps reduce the symptoms of menopause and PMS while improving a woman’s reproductive system.
- Turmeric – Turmeric contains anti-inflammatory properties that can help relieve the pain of fibroids while reducing the size or completely eliminating uterine fibroids. This delicious spice can be added to your favorite dishes, or you can take a turmeric supplement to help with fibroids.
- Vitamin D – Vitamin D may help lower your risk of developing fibroids by 32 percent, according to the National Center for Biotechnology Information. There are many ways you can increase your vitamin D levels, including sitting outdoors in the sunlight without sunscreen for 15 to 20 minutes, eating egg yolks, fatty fish (mackerel, tuna, and salmon), fortified dairy products, fortified orange juice, and fortified cereals.
- Weight Loss – Did you know that excess weight or obesity can increase your risk of developing fibroids? Fat cells make estrogen. Losing weight can help reduce the amount of estrogen in your bloodstream, which may help slow down or prevent the growth of fibroids.
How Can We Help?
Fibroids are noncancerous growths that appear on the uterine walls. Most women will develop a fibroid sometime during their lifetime. These benign tumors can become painful, especially if they become large. There are many natural remedies that can help relieve fibroid pain, reduce the size of your fibroids, or even eliminate fibroids from your uterus.
Our team of integrative women’s health specialists are here to help you by providing personalized holistic care. Our comprehensive women’s care program utilizes the latest in conventional medicine along with scientifically proven alternative medicine approaches to provide you with the highest quality of women’s healthcare. Contact us today to experience the difference of a whole body approach to women’s health.