Are you run down, groggy, and in need of a nap? Have you been experiencing unusual symptoms for months without any relief? Do you always have a cup of coffee or other caffeinated beverage in your hand? Your body may be telling you something. If you are feeling unrelenting fatigue even after a full night’s sleep, you may have a sluggish liver. Knowing how to detox your liver can improve your liver function and relieve your symptoms.
Your liver metabolizes fats, carbohydrates, and proteins. It detoxifies and purifies the blood, stores vitamins and minerals, and produces and excretes bile. If your liver is not functioning properly, you may experience a number of symptoms, toxins can build up in your body, and you cannot properly digest your food.
Symptoms of a Poorly Functioning Liver
When your liver is not functioning right, it can cause a lot of symptoms such as-
- Digestive Problems like Bloating and Constipation – When your liver becomes overwhelmed by toxins, your digestion can be impaired. It can cause a number of unpleasant digestive issues including acid reflux, heartburn, constipation, bloating, and gas.
- Toxic Buildup – Your liver is responsible for removing toxins from your bloodstream. When it is not properly functioning, toxins can begin to build up in the body and cause a number of issues. You may experience unrelenting fatigue, high blood pressure, and cognitive issues like anxiety, depression, moodiness, and confusion. Detoxing your liver can help remove toxins and improve your overall health.
- Bilirubin Buildup – Your liver is responsible for metabolizing red blood cells. When your liver is not working right, bilirubin can begin building up in your body. When this occurs, you can experience dark-colored urine and jaundice. Jaundice can cause your skin and your eyes to turn yellow.
- Hormone Imbalances – The liver breaks down and removes excess hormones, thus naturally balancing your hormone levels. When your liver is not functioning properly, it can cause hormone imbalances that can cause mood swings, increased cholesterol readings, and irregular menstruation.
- Pain – What does liver pain feel like? Although it can manifest differently from person to person, the most common complaint is a dull throbbing pain in the right upper quadrant, underneath the ribs. Others describe the pain as stabbing and sharp. The pain may migrate to the back or the right shoulder blade.
- Obesity – Over time, a poorly functioning liver can cause fat to build up in your liver, which can lead to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. This disease has also been associated with obesity, systemic inflammation, cirrhosis, liver failure, diabetes, and a host of other chronic diseases.
- Poor appetite
- Bruise easily
- Excess sweating
- Skin issues like rosacea
How to Detox Your Liver: A Step By Step Guide
Your liver is responsible for over 500 different functions in the body. It aids in fighting off infections, helping the blood to clot, creating hormones, neutralizing toxins, and creating proteins that the body uses for building healthy cells and tissues. A liver cleanse program helps the body naturally remove toxins and fat from the liver to help improve the functionality of this all-important organ. It begins by removing unhealthy food items from your diet and replacing them with whole foods like fresh fruits and vegetables and healthy fats like coconut oil. When you follow a healthy diet, your nutrient consumption will increase, your liver will naturally detoxify itself, and you will find relief for many of your liver symptoms.
A liver cleanse or liver detox is the first step toward optimal health. When your liver is functioning properly, you will have increased energy levels, regulated moods, optimal nutrition, and clear skin. Follow the steps listed below for optimal health.
- Reduce Processed Foods – If you have been eating processed foods, refined carbs, and excess sugar, you can be damaging your liver. These convenience foods are toxic to your body. These toxic foods not only damage your liver but can also increase the risk of developing other chronic diseases. The first thing you should do is follow a liver cleanse diet and begin with removing toxic foods from your diet. Replace these with organic fruits and vegetables and liver-friendly omega 3 fatty acids.
- Drink Raw Vegetable Juices – Once you have removed the offending foods from your diet, you should begin drinking raw vegetable juice. Juicing raw vegetable not only provide your body with the nutrients it needs for optimal health, but it also acts as a liver flush to help remove toxins from your liver.
- Potassium-rich foods – Potassium-rich foods such as sweet potatoes, bananas, white potatoes, avocadoes, and spinach help to detox the liver. In addition, a potassium supplement may help cleanse your liver and provide your body with this all-important nutrient.
- A coffee enema remains one of the best liver detox methods. This detoxification method has been shown to bring almost immediate relief. It can help reduce the symptoms of liver malfunction, improve your fatigue levels, and relieve constipation associated with a sluggish liver.
- Liver cleansing supplements that include herbal remedies like dandelion root, milk thistle, and turmeric support a healthy liver, strengthen your liver cells, and promote natural detoxification.
- Adding Liver – Did you know that adding liver to your diet can provide powerful liver support? Organic beef liver or chicken liver contains essential nutrients that have been shown to boost your liver health naturally. If you do not relish the idea of eating organic meat, you can take a beef liver pill and receive the same results.
When it comes to natural liver detox programs, we recommend using whole foods and natural supplements to improve the health of your liver. Limit your alcohol consumption and choose your medications and supplements carefully as some medicines can impact your liver health. Finally, maintain a healthy weight to reduce your risk of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
Need Help Detoxing
If you have been experiencing liver problems, you are probably wondering how to detox your liver naturally. If you are trying to learn how to cleanse or detox your liver, our holistic practitioners can help. We understand the importance of detoxification and the restoration of your liver.