Our world is filled with toxic chemicals that negatively impact our health. Toxins and heavy metals are found in our foods, our groundwater, our soil, and the air. All of these toxic chemicals permeate the body and cause a plethora of issues, including digestive problems, respiratory issues, decreased immunity, and much more. One of the best ways you can protect your health is to feed your body probiotics.
What Are Probiotics?
The gastrointestinal tract houses a complex ecosystem comprised of more than 400 species of bacteria. Most of these bacteria are found in the large intestine; however, you can also find them in the stomach and small intestines. The large intestine contains both beneficial bacteria, often referred to as your microflora, and harmful bacteria.
The beneficial bacteria help with digestion, enhances the immune system, synthesizes vitamins and other nutrients, and metabolizes medications. The beneficial bacteria also eliminate toxic chemicals, waste products, and other toxins from the body.
It is important to maintain a balance between the beneficial bacteria and the harmful bacteria. This delicate balance can be disrupted by toxins, stress, chronic illness, poor eating habits, insufficient sleep, use of antibiotics, and lack of exercise. The signs of an imbalance include urinary tract infections, fatigue, abdominal bloating, diarrhea, and yeast infections.
Symptoms of Toxicity
Toxic chemical exposure affects how your body functions. The symptoms can vary from mild symptoms (nausea and headache) to severe symptoms (coma, convulsions, or death). Toxicity is divided into seven categories with each having its own symptoms.
- Dermatological – Dermatological toxicity affects the eyes and the skin with symptoms such as itching, rashes, redness, and swelling.
- Gastrointestinal – Gastrointestinal issues can occur when you have been exposed to toxic chemicals. These symptoms affect the stomach and the intestines and cause diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting.
- Hematological – Hematological symptoms affect the blood. The common symptoms of hematological toxicity include anemia, weakness, and fatigue.
- Neurological – Neurological symptoms affect the brain and spinal cord. You can experience behavior problems, confusion, coma, convulsions, dizziness, depression, and headaches.
- Renal – Renal issues involve the kidneys. The common symptoms of renal toxicity include frequent urination and low back pain.
- Reproductive – If you have toxicity in the reproductive system, your reproductive organs can be affected. Infertility can occur and the risk of miscarriage increases exponentially.
- Respiratory – Respiratory toxicity affects the lungs, nose, and trachea. Respiratory signs include choking, coughing, irritation, and tight chest.
The Toxicity Screening Questionnaire helps identify symptoms that are useful to detect underlying causes of illnesses.
Benefits of Probiotics To Boost Immunity
The body has an innate ability to activate the immune system when foreign substances like toxic chemicals enter the body. This immune action helps decrease the damage caused by toxins. The immune system also induces systemic protective responses, which prevents the toxins from adhering to the lining of the intestines and prevents toxins from going through the intestinal wall and entering the bloodstream.
Research has shown that certain strains of probiotics offer the best protection against toxic chemicals, including strains of Lactobacillus Plantarum. This powerful strain activates cytokine production for maximum detoxification.
Probiotics supplements are designed to increase the number of beneficial bacteria in the GI tract. Eating probiotic friendly foods like sauerkraut, yogurt, and kimchi will naturally increase the number of beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract. In addition to this, taking a probiotic supplement that contains multiple strains of probiotics (Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, and Saccharomyces) can help to proliferate the digestive system with beneficial bacteria that help fight off inflammation and disease. Most individuals can benefit from a daily probiotic supplement with 1 to 10 billion CFUs. This will help maintain the appropriate amount of beneficial bacterial in your intestines. There are numerous types of probiotics on the market, so you want to make sure you choose the right strains and the appropriate dosage.
How Can We Help Reduce Toxicity
If you are suffering from decreased immunity, digestive problems, frequent yeast infections, and respiratory issues or if you believe you have been exposed to toxic chemicals, our functional medicine practitioners can help. They will help determine the level of toxicity in your body and create a personalized treatment plan to improve your health, reduce your toxin exposure, and strengthen your immune system possibly with the help of probiotics.